Join The Western Circuit
Existing Members - Pay your Subscription HERE
Membership of Circuit is open to members of the Bar of England and Wales, who ordinarily practice, or intend to practice on the Western Circuit. It is also open to Judges who were members of Circuit and who wish to remain as Dining Members. The many benefits of membership of the Western Circuit include:
- Representation by the Leader, Officers of the Circuit and Committee Members who campaign on issues such as Fees, QASA and Competitive Tendering. Consultation documents prepared by the Leader, with support from silks and leading juniors on Circuit, are based on comments received from members.
- The Circuit has representatives on the Bar Council and many of its specialist committees; Members have access to those representatives and thereby an opportunity to influence the response of Circuit to the issues affecting the Bar and judicial system.
- Circuit provides an excellent programme of educational events with CPD accreditation, including Conference Days, New Practitioner courses, RASSO training accredited by the CPS and Pupil Supervisors’ training. Pupils on Circuit receive expert practice management and advocacy tuition over the course of three weekends in their first six months of pupillage.
- The opportunity to attend Circuit Social Events, principally the three Grand Nights which take place in the Michaelmas, Hilary and Trinity terms in Exeter, Bristol and Winchester respectively, and additionally at local Bar Messes organised by the Area Bar Juniors.
- The opportunity to seek the support and advice of the Leader on delicate matters.
- Eligibility to stand for election to Circuit posts.
To apply to join Circuit please complete the application form and direct debit mandate and send the originals of both please to the Circuit Secretary, Mrs Charlotte Feest at The Western Circuit, 31 Southgate Street, Winchester, Hampshire SO23 9EB, or DX 2514 Winchester
Election to the Western Circuit takes place at Grand Night so the relevant forms must be received in good time in order to secure attendance at Grand Night. More guidance on elections at Grand Night is provided in the application form.
Fees (per Annum)